Here at Dove Creek Recording we are using a hybrid analogue and digital approach. What does that mean? It means we’ve taken a best of both worlds approach.
From the analogue world that we love, those classic tones come from
– Great microphone preamps from classic ” discrete class a” console designs of the 1960’s and 1970’s. We have 16 channels of mic pres like this … !
– Compressors and equalizers of vintage and modern classic design. These are used both during tracking, mixdown and mastering.
– A large collection of vintage and modern microphones. Picking the right mic is like getting the most flattering light for a photograph!
From the digital world we take advantage of
– the advent of control surfaces – these behave like an old school mixing desk or console, providing a touchable surface for controlling almost any function within the recording soft ware. allowing the engineer to mix by listening, not by mousing !
– the potential for lots of takes
– incredible editing capabilities
– large track count
– near instant recall of mixes
– tape delays and reverbs. some of the new software is being written by the original developers of classic reverbs and echos from companies like lexicon. even the most die-hard old school engineers have been talking on-line about the quality – especially of the reverbs. the last year in particular has seen the release of some spectacular software which we have been using with delight in recent mixes.
– affordable storage – a 500gb drive costs less than a roll of 1″ tape did 20 years ago …..
more to come on this subject!